Friday, March 31, 2017

Review: A Conjuring of Light (Shades of Magic #3) by V.E. Schwab


A Conjuring of Light by V.E. SchwabA Conjuring of Light
(Shades of Magic #3)
by V.E. Schwab
February 21, 2017
624 pages
 

Goodreads Summary:
Witness the fate of beloved heroes - and enemies.

THE BALANCE OF POWER HAS FINALLY TIPPED...

The precarious equilibrium among four Londons has reached its breaking point. Once brimming with the red vivacity of magic, darkness casts a shadow over the Maresh Empire, leaving a space for another London to rise.

WHO WILL CRUMBLE?
Kell - once assumed to be the last surviving Antari - begins to waver under the pressure of competing loyalties. And in the wake of tragedy, can Arnes survive?

WHO WILL RISE?
Lila Bard, once a commonplace - but never common - thief, has survived and flourished through a series of magical trials. But now she must learn to control the magic, before it bleeds her dry. Meanwhile, the disgraced Captain Alucard Emery of the Night Spire collects his crew, attempting a race against time to acquire the impossible.

WHO WILL TAKE CONTROL?
And an ancient enemy returns to claim a crown while a fallen hero tries to save a world in decay.
 

Review
 
I meant to share this review earlier but for some reason (probably because I don't ever want it to end) I've been holding off. I'm not sure I can write a coherent review at this point. There's not much I can say to do this book justice or to not spoil anything so I will keep this short (or as short as possible XD).
 
Not enough words can express my love for the Shades of Magic series. It's my all time favourite. A Conjuring of Light was a perfect end that left no feelings unfelt. As a huge fan of the series I'm both tearing up from the beautiful conclusion and mourning that we've come to the end of this epic journey. Victoria Schwab expertly wraps up the story leaving me smiling in contentment yet lusting for more adventures with these characters. They faced unexpected betrayals, made unimaginable sacrifices and still managed to overcome the deadliest and most heartbreaking of circumstances. "After all, knowledge was a kind of power, a breed of strength." (p. 526). What they went through was no small feat. Not only did they survive, they prevailed.

I love every character in this series. Kell. Lila. Holland. Rhys. Alucard. Ms. Schwab really brings them to life. Each had so much depth. The Queen. The King. Even Osaron was more than just a villain. You will regret it if you don't meet them.

Of all the characters Holland surprised me the most. I didn't expect to get to know him. His background came in the form of a story within a story. The flashbacks of his past told all- he's never had it easy. "Life isn't made of choices, It's made of trades. Some are good, some are bad, but they all have a cost." (p. 100). His presence was crucial to the development of the overall storyline. It was bittersweet but I'm so grateful we got the chance to know him better.

I will never get over how perfect Kell and Lila are for each other. I become a little fangirl every time they were together on the pages. Thank you Victoria Schwab for satisfying my need for them. Kell Maresh and Delilah Bard is my forever OTP!

If you haven't started the Shades of Magic books then I don't know what you're waiting for. From beginning to end this series gives nothing but excellence. From the stellar world-building to the incredible characters and their growths, no words can accurately describe how amazing this journey has been. Read. This. Series. Now.

5 CatsRipple StarDouble Ripple Star

2 comments:

  1. YES! I'm so glad that you loved this book. I love these characters so much too and definitely surprised me the most. I really liked his development for sure. And the ships, so good! Great review!
    Cassi @ My Thoughts Literally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you excited for the Collector's Edition?! I'm just like "take my moneyyyy" lol...

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and reading my posts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...