Monday, June 8, 2015

Review: The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles #1) by Mary E. Pearson

 
It's getting close to the release date of The Heart of Betrayal and I am beyond excited! Finally some more of Lia, Rafe and Kaden~ I wanted to share my review of The Kiss of Deception today :)
 

The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. PearsonThe Kiss of Deception
(The Remnant Chronicles #1)
by Mary E. Pearson
July 8, 2014
489 pages

Goodreads Summary:
A princess must find her place in a reborn world.

She flees on her wedding day.

She steals ancient documents from the Chancellor's secret collection.

She is pursued by bounty hunters sent by her own father.

She is Princess Lia, seventeen, First Daughter of the House of Morrighan.

The Kingdom of Morrighan is steeped in tradition and the stories of a bygone world, but some traditions Lia can't abide. Like having to marry someone she's never met to secure a political alliance.

Fed up and ready for a new life, Lia flees to a distant village on the morning of her wedding. She settles in among the common folk, intrigued when two mysterious and handsome strangers arrive—and unaware that one is the jilted prince and the other an assassin sent to kill her. Deceptions swirl and Lia finds herself on the brink of unlocking perilous secrets—secrets that may unravel her world—even as she feels herself falling in love.



Review
 

So hard to express my feelings about this book. I loved it and I didn't. The Kiss of Deception sounded like it had everything I looked for in a story like a beautiful world, kick-butt characters, explosive action sequences and swoony romance. I had really high hopes too because of all the praises I've heard. So while I wasn't totally disappointed, I wasn't completely wowed either.

First off, the world was absolutely gorgeous. The map was beautiful! It helped me grip the world better. Even though Lia ran away, we knew exactly where she was most of the time. I loved being able to follow her visually on her little escapade and later
on her kidnapping. The three kingdoms were very distinct and you can't help but be curious about all of them. I'm sure we'll get to know them a lot better in the upcoming books.

Not much happens in the first half of the story as we got acquainted with each of our main characters. Lia who isn't much of a heroine yet? was bold and brave and cared deeply for those she loves. Her father wanted to marry her off to a prince. Sounds romantic right? BUT, he's a total stranger to her so she fled on her wedding day. The prince chases after her because he's intrigued by this daring girl and an assassin gets sent after her to dispose of her. Like I've heard, we are unaware who is who until half way through but I'm proud to say I guessed right! The POVs were so well done it really was a mystery until the big reveal. Both Rafe and Kaden were swoony for me even when the assassin struck. Though I was a little mad at him for Lia's sake because his betrayal was a shock she didn't see coming.

All was not what it seemed as their lives intertwined. Let's just say that the assassin does have a heart, the prince knows how to love and Lia wasn't stupid either. As First Daughter of Morrighan, I'm sure she has a m
agical side even she has not yet discovered herself. I love the idea of her kavah becoming a tattoo. There's an air of mystery to it. I think there must be something more to Lia since the Komizar badly wants her dead. I'm very curious to meet this man who is feared by all in his kingdom.

There were some truly heartbreaking moments in this book. Very spoilery so I've hidden it :) 
Like Lia having to lie to Pauline about Mikael's fate when she's pregnant with his child. A tough decision but it was better than telling her that her love's a liar and a cheater. I can't help but wonder how central of a role Pauline will play in the future. Then there was Lia realizing it was Kaden's group that murdered her sister-in-law. I'd be furious too. However, the one scene that really broke my heart was when Lia had to watch her dearest brother, Walther, get slaughtered. No no noooo!

Now, this book left me struggling with a few things. First with the love triangle. Is it even a real love triangle? Lia very clearly states who she wants. We know who she wants. Yet at the same time, she can't help but express she has feelings for the other guy. Then I struggled with the ending. I felt like I was finally getting some action. I mean, Lia finally figures it out and bam blank pages followed. Does that count as a cliffhanger? It's killing me.

This book seriously left me wanting more!! Why did it have to end at that spot? I need to know what happens next! Putting my struggles aside, I'll definitely be continuing on with this series. Without a doubt The Kiss of Deception is a promising start to a possibly phenomenal fantasy series!
 
5 Cats

17 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm so happy you love it because it's one of my favorite books ever <3

    Cee @ The Mistress Case

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way about this so I totally understand Eileen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I would consider this one a love triangle. I think there are likes she "likes" about one but after everything that happened? IDK! And yes, all your spoilers were pulling at the heart strings! Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tonya! I know what you mean. She liked one as a friend and before things went haywire but she really liked the other one if that makes sense haha~

      Delete
  4. I have to agree that I adored this book enough for 5 stars except for the damned love triangle!! It was so annoying and unnecessary that made take 1 star from my review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's more of a 4.5 star but I rounded up since for me I guess it was kind of obvious that she only really liked one. I decided to overlook a bit hee~

      Delete
  5. Still great that you're able to reconcile your feelings in the end. I mean, 5 stars is pretty telling, isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely ;) Despite some things I wasn't sure how to feel, I really did enjoy it all!

      Delete
  6. Ohh, this is a book I want. Mostly because I'm intrigued about the Prince and the Assassin. I love my princes AND assassins *teehee*. Great review, Eileen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I both hated and loved them both haha. I have a feeling you will too hee!! I heard the second book's even better so I hope you get to read this one soon Melissa <3

      Delete
  7. Loved your review! Very honest, i appreciate that!! I want to read this one so badly! im glad i have the sequel too i hate waiting!!. Hope you are having a lovely week Eileen!!
    <3 Britt @ please feed the bookworm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Britt <3 I can't wait to hear what you think! It's always nice to be able to binge read the books back to back :D

      Delete
  8. SO GLAD YOU LOVED THIS ONE! I enjoyed it as well! For some reason, I wasn't as confused about the men as many were? I chose which was which and rolled with it - and turned out to be right! Anyway, I loved The Heart of Betrayal as well! Very fulfilling, especially in terms of the romance/no more love triangle ish ;)

    Excellent review, Eileen!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Alyssa!! I cannot wait for The Heart of Betrayal! People have been saying it's even better than TKoD! Eeeep!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and reading my posts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...